Launch of ‘Return for Change’ campaign; (developed by Irish environmental organisation VOICE) for Deposit Refund Scheme to help combat litter and the loss of valuable recycling materials
- Ireland needs a robust Deposit Refund Scheme to reduce litter and increase recycling levels
- Deposit Refund Scheme incentivises customers monetarily to return containers covered by the Scheme.
- International evidence shows that high-performing Deposit Refund Schemes can collect over 90% of nominated materials for recycling within two years.
- Irish people generate an estimated 3 billion plastic bottles and half a billion aluminium cans each year
- About 1 billion plastic bottles and 1.6 million aluminium cans end up in landfills/incinerators or littered in our environment
- Howth community set to show country how Deposit Refund Scheme works June Bank Holiday Weekend