In Ireland we produce over a million tonnes of packaging waste a year, and the volume is increasing
The time has come once again to directly tell retailers they are using too much plastic and demand a change. We are asking consumers to put retailers under pressure by asking them to be accountable to their customers. To do this we are asking people to contact retailers directly by email or letter to complain about a specific product.
Action to take:
- Be specific: contact your retailer about a product that you believe has too much plastic packaging.
- Be direct: write or email the retailer to complain, as well as tagging them on social media. Use a publicly available email or postal address.
- Be open: tag Sick of Plastic with a copy of the letter and a picture of the product. At the end of the month we will write to all retailers where we are reiterate our frustration and our asks:
- Be polite: keep it cordial and don’t publish any personal data.
Here is a sample letter.
Dear [name of retailer]
I purchased [name the product] in your [location] store. Please find a photo attached.
I love this product, but I hate the packaging. [name of retailer]’s overuse of plastic packaging contributes to global warming, damages my health and the environment, and adds to our litter problem.
[Choose from: The product is double wrapped / no packaging is necessary / this product could be wrapped without plastic].
The packaging on this product makes me want to do my shopping elsewhere. I’m asking [name of retailer] to:
[use some or all as appropriate – all will apply in supermarkets:]
Price loose items competitively.
- Lead the way; make your own brand packaging reusable.
- Encourage your suppliers to use less plastic. Demand change on our behalf.
- Allow consumers to use their own containers.
- Introduce a refill station in your store.
- Supply dry goods and cleaning products in bulk to reduce packaging.
- Eliminate the use of plastic on in store provided bags (breads & fruit).
I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible,
Social media posting
[retailer] our planet is on fire… please ditch the plastic, we want the product not the packaging!
[retailer] I’m sick of your single use plastic! I want to buy this product, not the packaging!
Please use the hashtags #sickofplastic #sickofplasticireland (and #wechoosereuse where appropriate)
Please direct followers to the Sick of Plastic campaign page: [insert web page]